Monday, February 22, 2010

The Hugos: Double Star

I like having a regular review to do, it means I don't have to rack my brains for something to write: I just write about the next Hugo winner! 1956's 'Double Star' by Robert. A. Heinlein is aces with me, by jingo! Regular readers of my blog know that I cannot name a Robert Heinlein book I didn't like. He won several of these little spaceship-shaped awards and he deserved every one of them. I checked Wikipedia and discovered that James Blish, Hugo winner, Futurian, and New Jersian apparently considered THIS the only Heinlein book to that point with a well-written protagonist. Frankly, the man who wrote 'Spock Must Die!' has problems of his own, and may be discredited thereby.
-PHOOEY ON YOU, JAMES BLISH!
Wait, who said that? Captain Complainy!?
-YES, IT IS I! THE NAYSAYER RETURNS!
But... but this is MY blog. Mine! Gushy McFanboy.
-SCREW YOU, HIPPIE! I'M SICK OF THIS RUN OF POSITIVE REVIEWS! DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO HATE ANYMORE? GO BUY THE LATEST DC SUPERHERO MOVIE, PUKE ALL OVER IT LIKE THE OTHERS, AND THROW IT AWAY! THEN DO THE SAME WITH STAR TREK ONLINE!!! YOU KNOW DEEP DOWN IT'LL SUCK! MOO-HOO-HA-HA-HAAAA!
(Sound of Gushy McFanboy, forcing mental doorways to the Dark Dimension closed)
Whew, sorry, folks. I guess some people aren't satisfied by constantly upbeat critiques of classic science fiction! And speaking of people who look just like you but share none of your values, back to 'Double Star'.
It's basically Kevin Kline's 'Dave' in space.
Or at least I like Kevin and Sigourney Weaver for the leads. There's mistaken identity, actors pretending to be presidents, dastardly ruffins, equal rights for Martians, and what have you.
Look, what do you want? It's a Heinlein. You know I'm giving it 4 out of 4 stars.
Or perhaps that should be 2 Double Stars!

No comments: