Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Favorite Characters: The One with the Plan

O.K., so, I admit it. Ronald Moore's Battlestar Galactica is very long on cool, and very short on fun. I dubbed it Battleglum Galactiglum once and I stand by that. It's a dark story. Notta lotta laughs during a genocide, after all.
I've always maintained it needed more nudity and more Dean Stockwell. (As long as it's not Dean Stockwell's nudity!) But I say that about everything.
Fortunately for me, there's Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.
I've heard some negative reviews: ignore them.
The effects, score, sound, writing, acting, and story are all top-notch.
Dean Stockwell is exceedingly cool, and always fun.
In this story (Which I admit, is not for the novice; You have to have seen the series. You can't watch 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead' without knowing 'Hamlet', nor for that matter read 'Tag and Bink are Dead' without having seen 'Star Wars') Stockwell portrays two copies of the insanely evil robot Cylon model One, also known as Brother John Cavil. The story concerns the Ones' judgement on humanity and their vicious, seemingly unprovoked war featured in the series proper. Weaving its plot through the first two seasons of BSG, there are a lot of characters here the fan has already met, so the novice will be stumped. TOO BAD!
While it's as specialized as the previous offering 'Razor', I think it's more relevant overall. Cylon motive, method, and madness is on display here in more detail than the series provided: they were the baddies, after all. But, me personally, I just can't get enough robots!
Much as I wish to be like Dean Stockwell, I cannot recommend one emulate Cavil. Oh, is he a rotter! "Wear this," he slithers. "It's called a SUICIDE vest. Although I think that kind of undersells all the HOMICIDE involved." And you just know a guy like that will come to a gruesome end... I've said too much.

No comments: