Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Toon Review: Spaceballs- The Animated Series


Yes.
Yes, there was.

And, unfortunately, I spent
A) $9.95 and
B) 88 minutes on
this senseless, cash-grabbing cartoon-astrophe.

"Spaceballs: The Animated Series" had 15 episodes in 2008 on G4 before its not-abrupt-enough cancellation.

O.K., O.K. so this was my fault, too. I LOVE cartoons. I LOVE 'Spaceballs: The Movie'. I have inordinate (but still platonic) affection for Lord Melvinius Q. Brooks.

NEVER. THE. LESS.

Do not make my mistake. Save yourselves. This is nearly unendurable, and I saw it just DAYS after Rob Zombie's "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto" (not for the timid and not on trial here.)

The four episodes on the DVD pictured here (yes, only 4 out of 15, thanks, marketing department- for making me feel cheated as a complete-ist and as a sentient being) are a continuity-free mess.

Stale jokes, tepid parody, and weak sauce animation made me long for "Tripping The Rift".

See here for some brave youngsters putting themselves on the line to review one for you.

I get a glimmer of how disappointed SO MANY fans were with the Star Wars prequels: I can't be thirteen again and see Spaceballs for the first time. Barf, wangs, poop, and boobs are admittedly hilarious, but shovel under them and I can't find anything ELSE.

(And I'm a PARTICULAR fan of boobs most of the time. ALL the time.)

Too senile for kids and too juvenile for... well, everybody.

And the worst part?

I am SUCH a sucker for punishment I STILL feel like this review is unfair if I don't see the other eleven episodes.

Please tell me what is wrong with my brain!

Send your opinions care of Mel Brooks, Daphne Zuniga, and Joan Rivers busily making a funny movie twenty-six years ago.

No comments: