Friday, March 26, 2010

Zom-Com

Thanks to my friend Anthony for screening a fine film for me yesterday! It's inspired me to run down 5 favorite zombie comedies, or 'Zom-Coms' as those in the know are calling them when they are not too out-of-breath from being chased by zombies.

Zombieland- The one I saw last night, which actually might be trumping them all by pioneering its own genre: the Zom-ROM-Com. A great cast. A very cool soundtrack. Graphic but cartoonish violence played for laughs, balanced with a very good story, and a good heart. This is definitely the SWEETEST zombie movie I've seen.

Night of the Creeps- This is the most sci-fi of the zom-coms, (and the most Archie-comic-like, too (see Bookmonkey's post for the opinion I share).

Army of Darkness- The most epic, sweeping zombie comedy, and a deserved classic. Time travel, magic, demons, and the time-traveling magic demon known as Bruce Campbell. You can't go wrong with that one. Well, you can if you don't get the magic words exactly right. It's Klaatu, Barada, N*-coff, coff, coff*, isn't it?

Young Frankenstein- certainly has great moments, too. Although, it might not TECHNICALLY be a zombie movie, in the modern sense of the word. Ahh, it's close enough.

Planet Terror- Weirdly, my wife watched this recently. I could hear her from the other room, occasionally laughing but mostly going 'Eeurgh!'. It's a DARK, dark comedy, but worth the watch if you have a strong stomach. It's the goriest zom-com I can think of that was still amusing. I wasn't in the mood to see it again that day, but on the other hand, I'm always up for:

Shaun of the Dead- The zom-com that started it all! And maybe always the finest. We'll just have to wait and see. And in the words of Conan O'Brien's disembodied head 'I'm out of material!' Let me know what zombie comedy is the one YOU think is funniest- intentionally or otherwise.

No comments: