Friday, April 2, 2010

My Favorite Characters: Sadistic Scientist of Skaro

Last weekend I enjoyed the crap out of a Toy Fair and snagged myself a 5 inch action figure (some might call them dollies) of one of the best villains in Doctor Who's long history of terribly scary monsters. I speak of Davros, creator of the tyrannical cyborg Daleks. Oh, is he ever a baddun! (Here's his Facebook page. I personally recommend NOT friending him. Dear lord!)
Portrayed with venom by Michael Wisher, David Gooderson, Terry Malloy, Rory Jennings, and Julian Bleach, usually under a batch of icky gooey make-up, he's right up there with Darth Vader in the top boogeymen of my childhood.
Very much the product of his world and his time, Davros was a cunning, backstabbing fascist alien scientist even before chemical weapons from the ongoing race war on his planet robbed him of his legs and hideously mutated him. If I do say so myself, the English have a great talent for mad soliloquy, and Davros is chock full of crazy rants. Try this one, when the Fourth Doctor posed the kooky Kaled a hypothetical question about his willingness to unleash intergalactic genocide. Davros gave it a moment's thought and replied:
"To hold in my hand a capsule that contained such power... to know that life and death on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything. Yes - I would do it. That power would set me up above the gods!"
Charming. Or when the Tenth Doctor faced down Davros centuries later (Davros is essentially a hollow shell on life support, who has better success cheating death than every comic book supervillain combined). I love the sound of a rotter clever and bitter enough to really twist the knife into his opponents' psyches:
"The man who abhors violence, but this is the truth: you take ordinary people and fashion them into weapons... How many have died in your name? The Doctor, the man who keeps on running, never looking back because he dare not, out of shame. This is my final victory, Doctor. I have shown you yourself."
Personally, my favorite is from 1989's 'Remembrance of the Daleks', when Davros really gets going on his merciless army of terrible tinker toys:
"The Daleks shall sweep away Gallifrey and its impotent quorum of Time Lords! The Daleks shall become Lords of Time! We shall become all--"
The Seventh Doctor carries on sarcastically: "--powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding! Et cetera! Et cetera!"
We haven't seen the last of this vengeful hatemonger. He's crazier than a starcruiser full of Zygon droppings and I love to loathe and fear him.

No comments: